History

Built on a cliff's edge in front, and protected by a ravine in back, commanding the valley at the border of the Auxerrois and Nivernais regions, an ideal location for an easily defendable stronghold, the Chateau of Mailly has, nevertheless, been battered through six centuries of war, destroyed once during the Hundred years War and then again during the French revolution.

The lives of its' residents have unfolded in the face of constant warfare. From the Countess Mahaut de Courtenay, the daughter of a cousin of King Phillipe Auguste, having to fend off repeated attempts at territorial conquests by neighboring Counts in the thirteenth century, to Captain Fort- Epice,( Strong-Spice), who, with his army of mercenaries, took control of Mailly le Chateau, fighting off the British in the mid-fifteenth century, and ending with the Chateau's final resident, Angran D'Allerey, a victim of Robespierre's Reign of Terror, guillotined in 1794 for the crime of having sent money to his children abroad.